Note: For those entering the program in 2016 under our new IHTP Study-At-Home Design, you may begin the readings and DVD Lesson Studies. This will save you many hours of work when you begin the new Program.
1. Read and complete twelve book reports (seven required, five of your choice.) Please write a one-page review of each book and answer the question: “How will the content of this book help me in becoming an effective Therapeutic Harp Practitioner?” READING LIST
2. Study the ten Creative Harping DVDs that will take you on a journey of studying the modes, gaining techniques, learning to improvise and play by ear and leading to the ability to modulate from mode to mode while following the patient.* Upon completion of each DVD, you are required to make a recording that will be submitted to your mentor through your Unit Workbooks. This recording should be no more than 3-4 mins. but have at least one song from the DVD that segues into an improvisation of the same tempo, mode, rhythm that utilizes at least two of the left-hand patterns in the lesson study. If you are preparing ahead of time, please make your recordings so that you can submit them along with your workbooks when the 2016 program begins.
~~The following requirements are for the IHTP program as it now stands. These requirements will change with the new 2016 format.~~
FOR THOSE ENROLLING IN THE 2016 PROGRAM, Please revisit this page. The requirements listed below are for the students who are currently finishing the program.
3. Write two short, reflective papers after the first 4 months, then after the second 5 months of the on-line lectures and studies.
4. For a Level 1 only certification, you must complete 45 hours Internship Study (can be done in your own locale – supervisors approved by the IHTP). These 45 hours are to be patient hours.
5. Submit a portfolio of your work, highlighting your study and allowing prospective employers to see your skills.
6. Submit an exit recording demonstrating your repertoire in eleven genres and 6 elemental categories.
7. Make a commitment to continuing education as put forth by the NSBTM. (20 CEU’s every 2 years).
The Cost for Level 1 Certification is $1400.00. (Payment options available)
Your title upon graduation will be: CTHP – Certified Therapeutic Harp Practitioner. The International Harp Therapy Program is accredited auspices of the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians.
LEVEL 2 RESONANCE STUDIES
INTERACTIVE Harp Training (or Both!)
Our Level 2 training focuses on Resonance Studies and deeper music Development. The focus is to be able to Individualize Music for clients and patients based on identifying their Resonant Tone. This is especially powerful in Hospice work and Palliative Care. Level 2 is required to be listed as a CTHP Graduate with Hospice training.
Graduates may find that they are more interested in working with groups of people through community music-making techniques and choose to study the COLOR MY WORLD with HARP Facilitating Program through use of DVDs and Webinars from home. You may decide to focus as a CMW Facilitator. Your training will enable you to take music to many places. See HarpCircle.com and RainbowOfSound.com for more information. (Approximate cost of this training is $600.)
For your LEVEL 2 Certification, you will be required to:
have met all the requirements in Level 1 and in addition be required to attend and submit the paper for the LEVEL 2 Resonance Studies Experiential Attendance Module and commit to a 35 hour internship implementing your Resonance studies.
You will add to your Portfolio a paper from the Level 2 Resonance Studies and the internship papers from your 45 hours of internship.
Lastly, your music will reflect your studies embody the grace, musicality, technical achievement and spirituality of the most poignant Cradle of Sound to serve all people especially those in hospice and palliative care. You will be guided to create beautiful music!
The cost for the LEVEL 2 Certification is $1400.00.
Your title upon graduation will be: CTHP – Certified Therapeutic Harp Practitioner – Level 1 and Level 2 Certified. The International Harp Therapy Program is accredited auspices of the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians.
Other PROGRAM GRADUATES
This information is for graduates of other programs, i.e. music therapy, music-thanatology, or other programs who have met the basic standards that the National Standards Board of Therapeutic Musicians has approved. You will be required to attend and submit the paper for the LEVEL 2 Resonance Studies Experiential Attendance Module, meet the music development 10 Creative Harping DVD Lesson requirements – commit to a 35 hour internship implementing your Resonance studies. You are required to learn the 6 tunes in the Illuminations Healing Music Book. Lastly, we require that you audit the On-line Standards at no charge to view how the IHTP utilizes information that you have previously been taught. You are not required to do the quizzes but we ask you to submit the two papers, in January and in June discussing the content of the on-line program in relationship of your previous studies. (For those who did not take one of the accredited programs of the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians, we ask that you include readings from our required reading list.)
You will design two portfolios – please include work from your other program (including your book reports). You will then include your Creative Harping DVD evaluations, your paper from the Level 2 Resonance Studies, the internship papers from your 40 hours of internship. You will submit an exit recording with the 6 required pieces.
The cost for Other Program Graduates is $1400.00. ($600.00 to be paid upon your acceptance to engage your mentor and the balance to be paid when you take the Level 2).
Your title upon graduation will be: CTHP – Certified Therapeutic Harp Practitioner – Level 2 Certified along with the title of your other Program. The International Harp Therapy Program is accredited auspices of the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians.